Sunday, January 26, 2014

Trip to Visby and Stockholm, Sweden from Jakarta, Indonesia - Part I

Hi readers! This post is a really really late post since I did this trip to Sweden in the end of August 2013, hehehe. But as many people say, it's better late than never. And until I write this post, this trip is the most memorable trip I have ever done.

Previously I've written a post about how to apply for the visa (Schengen visa) to visit Sweden. The process is quite fast and relatively has easier requirements than visas to other countries. More can be read here: Part I and Part II.

So the story is I went to Visby, Sweden, with my mum and my sister in order to accompany my sister who will live there. Visby is a small town located on an island called Gotland. To reach Visby, we departed from Jakarta to Stockholm using Thai Airways with one transit in Bangkok and then connect flights from Stockholm to Visby using local airline, Gotlandsflyg.

To reach Stockholm from Jakarta there are many airline options available: Thai Airways, Turkish Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Lufthansa, etc.. But the flight schedule from Stockholm to Visby at the time was only available at about 8 am, 10 am and 5 pm. We prefer a flight in the morning in order to get in Visby before lunch. Among those airlines we decided to use Thai Airways because of its relatively cheaper ticket prices and its arrival schedule on Arlanda airport is the earliest in the morning. However, the transit time in Bangkok is quite long, which is about 9 hours.

We departed from Jakarta to Bangkok using Airbus A330-300 flight TG434 for about 3 hours, from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm. The next flight to Stockholm departs at 00:30 midnight, so we have very much time to spend at Suvarnabhumi airport, Bangkok.

Arriving at Suvarnabhumi airport, we followed the direction signs that are quite clear to the transit area. Suvarnabhumi airport security was pretty strict. After showing the boarding pass for the next flight that has been provided by airline personnel upon check-in in Jakarta, we walked to x-ray examinations and security checkpoint. All objects made ​​of metal shall be removed when passing the gate, including belts and even some coins in his pocket.

Just after passing the security checkpoint, we arrived at the departure hall that is very spacious. The airport is huge. From end to end, this departure hall is 1 km long. Filled with various shops like a shopping mall, we didn't feel tired to walk around and see the goods sold in these stores.

Once we are satisfied sightseeing and had our dinner, we waited in the waiting area near the departure gate. Previously I had asked for a username and password for free wifi to airport officials. Simply by showing my passport, I can use the internet facilities at the airport. Each person is limited to use the internet only up to 1 hour, but because I also requested access on behalf of my mother and sister, I can surf up to 3 hours, hehehe.

Time flies, it was already 11 pm and departure gate has been opened. I immediately woke my sister and my mum who had fallen asleep on the couch in the waiting room and then we got ready to get into the gate. The aircraft we were riding to Stockholm is a Boeing 777-300ER flight TG960. This aircraft is very comfortable and it looks like new. Our flight from Bangkok to Stockholm takes 10 hours. Due to the time difference between Bangkok and Stockholm for 5 hours, we were scheduled to arrive there at 5.30am.

After a long flight, we finally arrived at terminal 5 Arlanda airport, Stockholm. After taking care of immigration and baggage, we headed toward the terminal 3 to continue our next flight. The distance between those two terminals is not too far away and the availability of a fairly large trolley makes it very easy walk to terminal 3. The flight DC-803 we booked leave at 10 am so we still had enough time to sit in a cafe. We ordered breakfast with typical Swedish bread and a cup of black coffee which turned out to be a very popular drink for the people there.

Having finished breakfast, our plane arrived and we prepared for boarding. The aircraft we were riding is a turboprop, medium sized propeller aircraft. Later I found out that the plane is a Saab 340A. The sensation with turboprops is very different compared to larger size jets. The noise and vibration of the propeller engine felt quite noticeably into the cabin, but for some reason I really like the thrill of riding this plane. We flew to Visby airport for 45 minutes. When we got there, the first thing I realized is that the airport is quite small and quiet, but all facilities are complete and well preserved. After a short wait, we were picked up by my sister's husband there and he drove us to the house.

Me and my mother stayed at Visby for 10 days and then stopped in Stockholm for 4 days before returning to Jakarta. In the next part I'll tell you about places we visited, activities that we did, and the food we enjoyed while we were in Sweden. Stay tuned for my next post (it wont be as long as the last time I post something on this blog, hehe).

0 comments:

Post a Comment